Brownsville’s future is looking brighter than ever as our community is in the midst of exciting times. A new realm of economic opportunities abound for our region and they are attributed to three main driving factors: Space, Sun, and Location. When added together, these three factors make Brownville your prime retail destination.
Why? Take a look at the following:
- With the coming of SpaceX, the region will see a new realm of economic opportunities, including the retail, entertainment and service industries.
- Each unmanned launch at Cape Canaveral attracts upward of 40,000 visitors, with several million dollars in economic impact to the immediate area. In Cameron County, we expect to see about 15,000 visitors per launch. SpaceX plans to do 12 unmanned launches per year, totaling 180,000 VISITORS to the Borderplex to view the launches each year.
- South Padre Island is the second most visited tourist destination in Texas.
- Brownsville is the closest big city to South Padre Island (a quick 20 minute drive).
- About 4.4 MILLION people visit the Brownsville / South Padre Island area annually.
- More than 50% of the condominiums at South Padre Island are owned by affluent Mexican families.
- Mexican vacationers’ No. 1 “wish” from South Padre Island: a major shopping venue.
- The origin of shoppers to the Brownsville area come not only from the Rio Grande Valley, but the majority are from major cities in Northeast Mexico, such as Monterrey, the country’s third largest city and one of the most industrial and affluent cities in all Latin America.
- More than 10 MILLION Mexican shoppers from Northern Mexico (Monterrey, Saltillo, Matamoros, Reynosa, Ciudad Victoria, Tampico-Madero)
- Mexican shoppers account for a significant percentage of retail sales in the Brownsville MSA. On average, Mexican nationals spend around $4.5 BILLION per year in Texas border retail. Brownsville receives 30-35% of that activity.
- 1.3 MILLION Texas shoppers in Rio Grande Valley (Cameron, Hidalgo, Willacy and Starr counties)
For additional information contact our office at (956) 541-1183